Skip to content

Our history

We are the oldest denominational church insurer in the UK.

It was 1872 when the company was founded to provide insurance against the damage caused by fire to Connexional Trust properties.

Because so many of the buildings relied on stoves and other potentially hazardous heating appliances, fire was a threat to every Methodist Church at the time and Trustees quickly came to appreciate the safeguards our policies could provide, as well as the prompt and courteous way in which their claims were handled.

When, in 1907, the Workmen’s Compensation Act introduced the principle that workers could automatically claim compensation from their employees for occupational accidents, the legislation created an entirely new market for insurance protection. Ours was one of the first companies to open an Accident Department dedicated to issuing Workman’s Compensation policies.

During World War I, the Company was among a select group appointed as an approved office to act as agents for the Government Scheme of Aircraft and Bombardment insurance. The very first claim involved a house in Croydon belonging to a Government Minister where windows were smashed in a Zeppelin raid.

By 1920, insurance business was being placed with the Company by a growing number of churches in Ireland and this was when we started to forge the strong ties with the Irish Methodist Church that continue to this day.

1920 was also a key date because it was the year the Company began writing Public Liability insurance. Within three years, a combined policy became available to the whole Connexion.

In the aftermath of the Second World War, the Company developed a close relationship with the Department for Chapel Affairs dealing with special insurance cover for Methodist properties as was required by the War Damage Act.

It was noted in 1972 that “the extent of protection afforded by the company’s policies has been generous by any standard, and the premiums charged have compared favourably with any which could have been obtained with safety elsewhere."

Today, the Company continues to serve the needs of the Methodist Church by improving and expanding our range of policies to meet the unique and diverse challenges that the Christian community faces in the 21st Century.

Methodist Insurance PLC (MIC) Reg. No. 6369. Registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ. Methodist Insurance PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Firm Reference Number 136423.