Skip to content
An overview of your Church Shield insurance policy, the documentation you should have, how you can pay your premiums and when you need to notify us about changes or activities at your church.
  • What documents should we have?

    A Church Shield policy booklet
    This document contains the terms and conditions of your policy.

    A Policy schedule
    Separate pages with specific details for your church. The policy schedule and policy booklet should always be kept together.

    An Employers’ Liability Certificate
    To be displayed in your church or made available in electronic form.

  • Why is maintenance important?

    While your insurance is there to protect you against the unexpected, it does not cover you for damage caused through lack of maintenance or if the church is not kept in a good state of repair.

    Make sure that you have a programme of routine church maintenance for example ensuring gutters are cleaned regularly.

When to notify us about activities or changes at our church

It is important that you let us know about certain activities and changes at your church. We can provide help and advice and in some cases we may need to charge an additional premium if there is a change to the risk we are insuring. Our check list below outlines when you need to call us.

  • Building works


    Where the trustees have agreed a contract making them responsible for insuring any loss or damage to the works or unfixed materials then we automatically include cover up to £100,000. If any of the following apply please call us:

    • Works are for over £100,000
    • Church is closing during the works
    • Scaffolding will be needed
    • Hot works are involved e.g. welding

    Find out more

  • Community outreach


    As part of your mission, you may be planning to support your community, for example, through providing a night shelter, food bank or Parish Nursing.

    There are important regulatory issues you need to be aware of and we can help you with free advice to make sure you comply with the regulatory requirements.

    Find out more

  • Events and activities


    We expect many churches to regularly run fêtes and coffee mornings and your policy will provide cover for these. But, occasionally churcheses will run unusual activities such as fireworks.

    If you are planning any events like these at your church please let us know before the event takes place. Most events will pose no problems, but you need to be aware of your obligations under, for example, Health and Safety rules.

    Occasionally we may need to charge an additional premium.

    Where activities of an especially hazardous nature are undertaken such as a large fireworks display we  would expect you to use a specialist provider and check that they have public liability insurance in place.

  • Closed or closing churches


    In the event of closure, trustees need to review the insurance cover they need and it is important that we are  contacted so we can explain what cover is available for a closed church.

    We can also advise you about the risk management steps that will need to be taken while the building is unoccupied.

    Find out more

  • Accidents involving people


    We do not need to know about every minor accident that takes place at your church. However, we should be notified of more serious incidents, whether you expect an insurance claim to arise or not.

    A good rule of thumb is where an individual has received medical attention or has visited hospital.

    If you are unsure please contact our claims team on 0345 606 1331.

    All accidents, no matter how small, should be recorded in your accident book. Please keep all records of witness statements and any evidence in case we require these for any future claim.

    Find out more

  • Change of correspondent


    Please make sure you let us know if the correspondent for your church is changing. We’ll need to know the name, address, phone number and email address of the new correspondent.

    You can call or email us to let us know about the change of contact.

Download the guide  

How to contact us

For help, call our dedicated customer services team (please have your policy number available) on:

0345 606 1331

(Monday to Friday 8am-6pm excluding bank holidays)

Or you can email -

Your cover includes:

• Damage to or loss of buildings and property
• Religious items  
• Communion plate covered away from churchpremises
• Reduction or loss of income
• Public liability
• Loss of money and theft by church officials
• Employers’ liability
• Trustee indemnity
• Personal accident
• Legal expenses

Please refer to your Church Shield policy booklet and policy schedule for full details of your cover.

Methodist Insurance PLC (MIC) Reg. No. 6369. Registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ. Methodist Insurance PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Firm Reference Number 136423.