Skip to content

If you have any plans to undertake alterations or extension works to your church, you must ensure that adequate insurance is in place for the duration of the works.

The terms and clauses in your building contract usually specify who has responsibility to insure the works in progress and materials on site. It is very important that you understand the insurance implications of building works and when you should contact Methodist Insurance.

The difference between building and contract works

Building works relates to the actual work being done to your church whereas contract works relates to the insurance policy.

  • Cover for building works

    Your policy provides automatic cover for contract works and site materials for contracts not exceeding £150,000 (including VAT and fees).

    In all other circumstances we will need you to complete a building works questionnaire so we can quote for suitable insurance cover for you.

Types of building works contracts

Below are the different types of contractual arrangements your church will enter during building work.

  • Non- formal contracts (exchange of letters)


    Many small works are completed under an informal written agreement known as an exchange of letters which details the work in broad terms and the price to be paid.

    We do not need to be told about an exchange of letters for minor contract works where the contractor is responsible for loss or damage to the contract works and site materials.

    If the contractor is not responsible for the site and materials you will need to provide more information about the work to us on our Non-Formal Contract (exchange of letters) form. 

  • Formal contracts


    A formal contract will normally be a JCT contract which covers in detail the arrangements of a building project.

    The type of building contract you have entered will determine whether the Church Council is responsible for the insurance.

    If you are, we can provide you with a quote to cover the contract works by calling on 0345 606 1331.

Other considerations during building works

Below are just some examples of what to consider during your churches building works.

  • What are ‘hot works’?


    Every year there are numerous fires on construction sites and in buildings undergoing refurbishment, many caused by “hot works” i.e. welding, grinding, the use of open flames or the application of heat.

    When hot works are present certain procedures must be followed and we’ll need your contractor to complete a hot works permit.

  • What do we need to do if volunteers are involved in the works?


    Often, especially for small works such as painting and decorating church volunteers may be helping.

    As with any users of your premises you have a responsibility for ensuring that they are kept safe.

    Our Made Simple guide to Your Responsibility for People on Church Premises gives you a summary of what you need to consider.

  • What happens if the church needs to close during building works?


    We do not normally consider a Church undergoing building works as being unoccupied.

    However, if there is a period of un-occupancy prior to commencement or following completion of the contract works please contact us on 0345 606 1331 as soon as possible as it may be necessary for us to amend your cover.

  • What happens if the building works overrun?


    If the works are scheduled to overrun the original anticipated completion date, please contact us in case we need to extend your cover on 0345 606 1331.

    Depending on the revised anticipated completion date, an additional premium may be required.

What do we need to do once the building works have completed?

Where the contract works include capital additions for example an extension, please contact us to review your building sum insured.

Your architect may be able to advise an appropriate adjustment to the building sum insured.

Building works made simple

How to contact us

For help, call our dedicated customer services team (please have your policy number available) on:

0345 606 1331

(Monday to Friday 8am-6pm excluding bank holidays)

Or you can email -

Methodist Insurance PLC (MIC) Reg. No. 6369. Registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ. Methodist Insurance PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Firm Reference Number 136423.